Friday, February 15, 2008

Indy's Back!


I am practically jumping up and down in my seat here. Indianajones.com posted the first trailer for the new movie, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," and it actually looks great. I was one of the naysayers--how could they possibly do an Indy 4 when everybody went riding into the sunset at the end of Indy 3?--but the theme music and the sight of Harrison Ford in his familiar fedora sends a chill up my spine. I credit "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with a lot of my career choice: I was in sixth grade when it first came out, my parents took me to see it four times at the theater, and I was totally obsessed. I got so into ancient Egypt as a result of that movie that my Dad took me to the Emory University Museum (back then a bizarre attic-like hodgepodge of stuff) to see the mummies. The rest is ancient history, so to speak, since I ended up going to Emory for university and pursuing degrees in ancient art. I did not, however, become a digging archaeologist. I hate dirt.

To this day, one of my Raiders bubblegum cards--the one with Indiana Jones lecturing to his class--is tacked up on my bulletinboard above my desk at home. May 22nd, I'll be there, popcorn in hand, eyes wide, ready to clap and cheer with all the other geek-out fans when the "Lucasfilm Ltd" logo appears to start the movie. Woohoo!

No comments: