Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Monsieur Renoir!



Ok, so it was yesterday (Feb 25th). I hope he can forgive me.

I'm fairly certain it's not a coincidence that Susan Vreeland's lovely novel "The Luncheon of the Boating Party," about the Renoir painting of the same name, was released in paperback today. If you haven't read it -- read it! I'm a fan of all her books, and this one is her most ambitious yet through its careful interweaving of the stories of Renoir and his models. As always, she blends fact and fiction so seamlessly that you imagine it happened exactly like that. I gobbled it up in a weekend when it came out last year in hardback.

The restaurant in the painting, the Maison Fournaise, was restored a few years back and can be visited just outside central Paris. It's on my list for next trip!

No comments: