Thursday, September 11, 2008

Let's Make Conferences More Fun!

I am refraining from discussing politics on this blog, but this thought I've got to share. I did watch the conventions, I've been watching the speeches, and I've decided academic conferences must be reformed. Wouldn't the conference of any professional organization be more fun if...

-Speakers used TelePrompters. No more looking down at your paper to read your talk. No more monotone. Head up, voice strong, let's put some emotion into it! Clapping and cheering after key lines encouraged. ("And that's why I believe we must RETHINK our perception of of fifth-century BC Athenian education! We must CHANGE our discipline!" [crowd roars])

-Attendees wore silly hats like the DNC/RNC delegates. Mine would have the ancient star of Vergina on the front and sunflowers sticking out the top.

-Musical interludes were played after every talk. Let's rock the casbah!

-Two words: Balloon Drop.

Now *that's* a conference worth attending.

3 comments:

Julianne Douglas said...

I'll pass your suggestions on to the Historical Novel Society Conference planners. We'll put you in charge of the decorations so you'll HAVE to come...

Margaret said...

I couldn't agree more! I would have killed to have a teleprompter last conference! Not sure about the hats though. Everyone would definitely have to wear one, to make it fair!

Sheramy Bundrick said...

Hi Julianne--My travel budget for 2009, alas, is spoken for. Another time!

Hi Margaret--Yeah, it'd take some chutzpah (or a long visit to the hotel bar) for conference attendees to really wear silly hats. But I'd like to see what the good people of the College Art Association (one of my groups) came up with!