Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Once

I don't often post about movies here, but I love them, and in a summer filled of overhyped who-cares at the theater, it's nice to find something worth watching at home. I just watched on cable, for the second time, the lovely and lyrical Irish film "Once," proof that you don't need big names, big budget, or a big studio to create something meaningful and heartfelt. I think I liked it even better the second time. Glen Hansard (who was in another favorite of mine, The Commitments) and Marketa Irglova play musicians just getting by with their day jobs. They meet as strangers while Glen's character (the characters are never given names) is busking with his guitar on Grafton Street in Dublin, but don't remain strangers for long, drawn together by their music. It's a story filled with longing and dreams. And the music! I sought out the film after seeing Hansard and Irglova play the sublime "Falling Softly" on the Oscars. I truly believe that is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

"Once" is good old-fashioned storytelling, musicmaking, and moviemaking. Highly, highly recommended.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I really need to see it! My husband always begs to watch it, and I must confess I usually steer him towards something else. Time to give in!

Sheramy Bundrick said...

Hi Margaret...
It's such a nice little movie. Come back and tell me what you think when you watch it!