Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Celebrate National Library Week

It's National Library Week, time to reflect on the importance of libraries in promoting reading and learning, and in preserving our shared cultural heritage. What would I do without libraries?? Not much, since my research hinges on obscure this-and-that that the interlibrary loan office of my campus library heroically tracks down for me. Not much, since I'm always running over there to grab something for class or put something on reserve for the students. Not much, since one of my favorite activities on a non-busy day is just to browse the bookshelves and see what's new.

Like most people who love reading, I grew up going to the library. My Mom first took me to a library when I must have been 3 or 4 years old, and weekly visits were the norm. Every summer I participated in the Summer Reading Club for kids at the library, and it was through the library that I discovered new worlds in the books I read. Three cheers for libraries and librarians!

The honorary chair of National Library Week, by the way, is the fabulous Miss Julie Andrews. Learn about NLW at http://www.ala.org/ala/pio/natlibraryweek/nlw.cfm.

No comments: