Friday, December 21, 2007

Good Books of 2007

I've read a lot of books this year--fun books, not counting books for work or research. Most of them I've read before bedtimes, in a desperate attempt to keep that little hamster in my head from spinning his wheel all night. Here are my favorites, some published in 2007, others published earlier but took me a while to get to them (no particular order).

Nancy Horan, "Loving Frank"--Wow. This one's a real page-turner, even if you already know Mamah Cheney's fate.
Susan Vreeland, "Luncheon of the Boating Party"--I love Impressionist painting and Paris, so I was going to love this book.
Tracy Chevalier, "The Lady and the Unicorn"--Imaginative and richly told.
Elizabeth Hickey, "The Wayward Muse"--I'm a Rossetti fan from way back. Hickey does him justice.
Katharine Davis, "Capturing Paris"--Beautiful writing and an atmospheric story.
Barbara Quick, "Vivaldi's Virgins"--Made me want to go back to Venice...subito!
Donna Leon, "Suffer the Little Children"--This may be the best of Leon's Inspector Brunetti series.
Cara Black, "Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis"--And this may be the best of Cara Black's Aimée Leduc series.

Hope 2008 brings more good reading!

No comments: